First and foremost I am a Christian. I really try hard to let my faith define me and sometimes I succeed. I am also a newlywed. My wife and I have been married for over a year now but I still think it's cute when she kicks me in her sleep so I still consider us newbies. Some other info about me is.......
- I have registered and paid entry fees for three marathons in my life (ran none).
- I still watch cartoons and find them hilarious.
- I have been in fist fight (if you think I look bad you should see the other guys knuckles).
- I graduated from Fuller Seminary with my Masters in Theology; but my wife still proofreads all my blogs for spelling errors.
- For our honeymoon my wife and I backpacked around the world....seriously
- I love the feeling of having just finished a great workout; but I hate going to the gym.
- My wife is my best friend.
- I am the absolute best last minute procrastinator in the world.
- I cannot stand it when people misuse the word “literally” as in.....”I am so hungry, I could literally eat a cow.” Really? You could literally eat 2000lbs.....I call BS on that one.
- I miss hanging with my besties and I really wish they lived closer to me.
- I was raised in Central America.
- I have owned three different VW buses and cannot wait to own my fourth
- I am a recovering alcoholic with 6 ½ years of sobriety.......(you're supposed to clap).
- I honestly do not think my own farts stink.
Currently I wait tables at a restaurant for a living while my wife and I are planting a church with a couple of other people in North Tacoma--we are loving the adventure that pastoral ministry brings. We are also seriously considering getting a puppy.....although I am already a little jealous of the attention the puppy is going to get from my wife....I don't sharesies very well.
Why “A Whiskey Priest”
One of my favorite characters in one of my favorite books of all time is written by Graham Greene. The title character of the book is a man who is only known as “The Whiskey Priest.” He is a disgraced Roman Catholic Priest who has an enormous capability for self destruction while at the same time a desire to acquire a holiness that he believes is found through a long and arduous penitence.
It would be silly for me to try and identify too much with The Whiskey Priest; especially since I disagree with most of his theology of contrition. (In truth I picked this name for a blog because it totally sounds Christian edgy). However, I do share the same conviction as the Whiskey Priest--that left to my own devices I am a drunkard, gossip, slandering, adultering, idolatoring, thieving wreck and that if it weren't for the brilliant grace from my Heavenly Father, I too would be aimlessly wandering through the desert seeking contrition and penitence. One of my favorite quotes from the Priest is “I don't know a thing about the mercy of God; I don't know how ugly the human heart looks to Him.”
Anyhoo, that's why I chose the name “A Whiskey Priest” (I never said it was a super good reason to choose a blog name).